Thursday, April 4, 2013

Enchilada Casserole

I have a small confession to make. I am in LOVE with a blog that's not even my own. I actually look forward to the posts and they always tend to make me smile. This fabulous site is Iowa Girl Eats. I've never been to Iowa but if I were to ever meet Kristin, I'd tell her that her recipes and photography are phenomenal. Her "Friday Favorites" e-mails are my guilty pleasure. Go visit her site and make sure you subscribe to her posts. She is so unbelievably creative.

Casseroles are my new best friends. I love the easy one-dish clean up and I love that a lot of them give me some down time while they are baking. They let me do other things around the house as dinner comes together in a snap.

I recently saw this post on Iowa Girl's website and like the others that I have tried from her, this did not disappoint! Lazy Girl's Enchilada Casserole had my name written all over it. I'm not really too lazy but I like when something doesn't require a lot of work but produces awesome results. This casserole falls into this category. It literally took me under 40 minutes start to finish (and including baking time).


Here's what you do.

Lazy Girl's Enchilada Casserole
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
Serves 4-6
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper
1 cup enchilada sauce (red or green, depending on your preference. I used red for this recipe.)
1 cup low-fat sour cream
3/4 cup jarred salsa
1 cup frozen corn, thawed (I used canned corn because it's what I had on hand)
4 ounces diced green chilies
12 white corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
sliced green onions or cilantro, for garnish (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper then saute in a large, nonstick-sprayed skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove to a plate to cool slightly.

2. In a very large bowl add enchilada sauce, sour cream and salsa then whisk to combine. Add cooked chicken, corn, and green chilies then stir to combine. Add corn tortillas then stir to combine.

3. Spray a 9×13″ casserole dish (or 2 smaller baking dishes) with nonstick spray then scoop mixture inside. Top with cheese then bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Top with green onions or cilantro and salsa, if desired.


All I have to say is YUMM! This one was a winner. It satisfied my weekly craving for Mexican food and it was so easy to put together. You can serve this with rice, a salad, or even some black beans on the side.

Thanks for stopping by!

xo, Stephanie





No comments:

Post a Comment